Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Iowa



Nearly every day I ride through the farm fields of Dübendorf, Uster, and other towns near the Greifensee. It has been interesting to follow the seasons from winter wheat to lettuce, chives, rapeseed, summer wheat, corn, squash, sugar beets, fennel, leeks, and other crops I couldn't identify. The past two weeks the farmers have been busy harvesting, tilling and then replanting the winter wheat.  This morning I had a spectacular view of the sunrise coming up over the Alps (which have been hidden in the fog and clouds alot lately).  I'll have to remember to take my camera next time.

And back in Iowa, this is what our own little piece of farmland looks like planted with soybeans. First crop in about 15 years so the soil is in great condition.

Photos courtesy of Marta.


No comments:

Post a Comment