Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving day

Thanksgiving day was a normal work and school day in Switzerland.  In the morning, Elisabet and I shared photos of America with the children in her class.  They especially loved the pictures of our backyard (with the swingset) and the red maple trees in the fall.  When Travis got home from work in the evening, we had turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, rolls, and beans for dinner.  I couldn't find a whole turkey so I made turkey "schnitzels" instead- surprisingly tasty and much quicker to cook.  The stuffing was made from local chestnuts and apples.  Travis mashed the potatoes with a wine bottle because we didn't have a masher or a mixer.  I used the same wine bottle to roll out the dough for the pie crust.  The chocolate meringue pie that I had to make in a springform pan since we don't have a pie plate.  We skipped pumpkin pie because canned puree is difficult to find.  I found a can of it (Libby brand) a few weeks ago in a specialty store and it had been shipped all the way from the US and cost 5.50 chf.   It is definitely a challenge to cook in our small kitchen with few kitchen tools and equipment.  I found myself washing my large bowl 3 times that day.  But the result was just as delicious and we had enough leftovers to eat it all again last night.  


Thanksgiving day

No comments:

Post a Comment