Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Shopping

We are slowly learning how to navigate around the grocery stores and other shops in Schwamendingen (the neighborhood where we live).  It is convenient we are located near a large shopping mall, close enough to walk.  I have been back and forth many times getting our apartment furnished with various kitchen and living necessities.  This morning after we walked Hanna to Kindergarten, Elisabet and I walked up to the mall and sat in the Starbucks (yes, Starbucks!) eating a croissant and drinking a mocha while we waited for the other stores to open at 9am.  I heard a few customers coming in and speaking English and we spoke for a few minutes to 2 women who were from NY/Long Island and had been here for 13 years.  Afterwards we went and bought pillows for the beds and a shopping cart so I can transport groceries more easily.  We had to walk back home with all of this and then we went back and I signed up for a cell phone plan and got a few storage things for filing papers and documents.  At the moment I have all those stacked on the table.  We are still without lights in the living room/dining area because we need an electrician to install them.  Hopefully tomorrow when the janitor comes he can do that for us.  We're fortunate that the other rooms have lights already- most apartments do not come with any light fixtures at all.  Yesterday I was excited to receive the box of kitchen utensils and towels that I had mailed from MN- up until then I had been working with just a spoon and a bread knife!  

2 comments:

  1. I love reading about your daily activities. Are you keeping a hard copy of these blogs, printed or saved, so that you will always have them. I think it would be neat for the kids to read when they get older and remember back on this time. Just a thought! I can't wait until next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Travis, from the Orton's and Kious'!

    ReplyDelete